FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in ]

::: CityOfWindsor.com Community Message Board :::

cheap nfl jerseys Cleveland Browns coach Pat Shurm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CityOfWindsor.com Forum Index -> Birthday/Anniversary Wishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: cheap nfl jerseys Cleveland Browns coach Pat Shurm Reply with quote
BEREA, Ohio -- Pat Shurmur insisted Monday that Peyton Hillis' carries are not being limited because of his contract negotiations and acknowledged Hillis "needs to play most of the time."
The Browns have been trying to extend Hillis' contract, but the two sides remain far apart.
"Absolutely not," said Shurmur of limiting Hillis' reps to devalue him. "I think it's a non-issue. The game changes [url=http://newjerseyjiujitsu.com/nikenfljerseys.html]cheap nfl jerseys[/url] as the score changes, and a lot of times that involves throwing it."
Hillis, who sat out last week's game with strep throat and flu-like symptoms, carried the ball only 10 times for 46 yards in the 31-13 loss to the Titans and caught five passes for 23 yards. Montario Hardesty ran the ball seven times for 22 yards and caught five passes for 49 yards. But Hardesty also dropped four short passes, including several over the middle.
Shurmur conceded Monday that he needs his star running back to be more involved.
"I think it's important," he said. "I think he played 50-some snaps. I think 55. I think Hardesty played in the 30s and then there were times when they were in there together. It's important [he plays most of the time]. And I think Peyton will get and should get more snaps and carries."
He stressed that Hillis suits the new West Coast offense and the Browns aren't trying to diminish his role.
"I think Peyton Hillis fits extremely well," he said. "I think it's important he touches the ball and he did.
"We got to the point where we got the ball for the first time in the third quarter, it was 24-6, we're moving the football and it quickly turned to 31-6. And so then the ratio of whether you run it or throw it starts to change significantly. But he was having success running the ball, and he did fine."
Hillis made it clear Sunday that he wants more runs. Last season, he averaged 17 rushes a game, and carried the ball 15 or more times on nine occasions. He finished second on the team with 61 receptions for 477 yards, which led to questions as to why Hardesty was getting so many passes his way. Hardesty had nine balls thrown to him and he caught give. Hillis was targeted six times and caught five.
"Take it up with the coach," Hillis said after the game. "I'm just running the plays that he tells me to do. I'm just riding the tide [url=http://www.libercom.bj/css/nike.html]cheap mlb jerseys[/url] and waiting my chances and opportunities and trying to get things done when I can."
Shurmur said neither Hillis nor tight end Evan Moore, who also questioned his lack of opportunities -- targeted twice, one catch -- approached him with their concerns.
"Neither one of them said anything to me about it," Shurmur said. "I will say this. Everyone in that locker room is disappointed that we lost and I think skill players, guys that touch the ball, there's something about their nature where they want it all the time. I think that's something good.
"I [url=http://www.aokeshen.cn/nbawholesaleonline.html]cheap nhl jerseys[/url] think we all know that when we don't get everything that we're looking for, there's certain ways to handle it. It's very hard for me to say beyond that."
Shurmur said it's not a case of Hillis no longer being the focal point of the offense.
"He's a terrific player," said Shurmur. "He's a big part of what we do. And again, if [url=http://www.oceanma.com/wholesale/ncaajerseys.html]cheap NCAA jersys[/url] I were here a year ago and I could have felt all this, I might have a different answer. The running back in any offense, especially ours, is a very important piece [url=http://newjerseyjiujitsu.com/nikenfljerseys.html]nike nfl jerseys[/url] and he needs to touch the football."
Shurmur also addressed the report Sunday by ESPN's Adam Schefter that some of Hillis' teammates wondered if his unresolved contract situation was a factor in sitting out the Dolphins game. A source confirmed for The Plain Dealer that some players felt that way.
He said he didn't hear any complaints first-hand, and would've preferred to see names attached to the report.
"I have expressed to the team that I would prefer that we keep business in house, and I think that's hard to do," he said. "And I can't really control how the team feels about certain situations other than we're constantly talking about being very professional, about doing your job and doing those types of things. So until somebody said so and so said it, it's very hard for me to comment beyond that."
He stressed that Hillis "was sick. I'm not trying to talk around it. He was ill and he looked ill."
The few players in the locker room Monday supported Hillis -- who's also come under fire from former Browns for not suiting up.
"I don't take these sources to be very credible," said rookie receiver Greg Little. "I just think that's coming from very thin air. I don't think the [report] is true. I think Peyton is a big enough competitor to want to come out and play every weekend."
Said linebacker Titus Brown, who saw how sick Hillis looked that morning: "If Peyton were able to play, he would've played. He loves this team just like everybody else on this team."
On Twitter: @marykaycabot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CityOfWindsor.com Forum Index -> Birthday/Anniversary Wishes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: