FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in ]

::: CityOfWindsor.com Community Message Board :::

Ontario Liberal budget and tax plans.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CityOfWindsor.com Forum Index -> National & World News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suzanne

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Ontario Liberal budget and tax plans. Reply with quote
The provincial Liberal government's plans for the budget and our taxes was announced in The Windsor Star today.

Big surprise, they are going back on their promises not to raise taxes.

How does everyone feel about this?

Would you have liked to have a referendum/vote on what kind of solution to apply to the budget?

Personally, if current funding from taxes won't cover the budget, I think the government should come up with several possible solutions and let us vote on the preferred solution. Maybe we would be willing to see a cut in some services rather than a tax hike. Or maybe a small tax increase combined with other cuts.

I think we should get several options to vote on. For example:
A) a tax hike to cover the additional budget needs
B) No tax hike and a cut to services A,B,C, and D.
C) A tax hike of X amount and a cut to services A and B.

etc.

Any thoughts?
admin
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was thinking the exact same thing!

It's very unfortunate that we can never trust the people running for government to tell us the truth or to stick to campaign promises.

Is our government financial situation so complex and secret that new leaders are totally surprised once they get into office and have completely different info than they had when they made those promises?

I was under the impression that government budgets and financial statements are a matter of public record. Then how are parties and leaders always blind sided?

Obviously there is a serious problem, not just with the parties or leaders, but with the entire system. There is only one of 2 explanations... either political campaigners are blatantly lying about what they will do... or they don't have the correct info to be making those promises in the first place. Neither of these is a good thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CityOfWindsor.com Forum Index -> National & World News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: