FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in ]

::: CityOfWindsor.com Community Message Board :::

New Giant Billboard Down Town

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: New Giant Billboard Down Town Reply with quote
Did I read the Windsor Star right? Our city councillors think that a 30m square, giant video screen billboard/weather bulletin on Ouellette will "move Windsor into the 21st century" ?? And "attract people to the downtown" !!??

Are you kidding me? Oh yes... I'll be bringing my entire family down town to look at the weather and visually polluting messages of "Buy Coke!!!" and "Drive Chrysler!!!"

AAARRGGHH!! What?? This is just another idiotic waste of money. Money that SHOULD be used for family attractions downtown. Once we get one of these video screens, big compaines will put them up everywhere. Great. Like signs and billboards and ads on buses, park benches and garbage cans aren't enough, now they are going to be giant video!!!

In the Star, the advocates of the plan cite Toronto and New York as examples... does anyone really think that more marketing visual junk is going to make us into Toronto??

God. Let's turn Windsor into a visual dump. Great plan. Mad
sherd6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
And to think that previous Councils protected us from billboards with new technology, because they thought we'd drive off the road from distraction.
This board is not a tourist attraction, it will never be a tourist attraction and I fear that it is going to be a bulky addition to the downtown. Revitalization does not come from a board!!! It comes from more inventory for housing which propels more services for the people living there. Has anyone heard what this is going to cost and who is footing the bill???
Eh_DUB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with the both of you, as a young person I don't think this will be well received.

I really think it's an excuse to put a potential revenue making machine in our down town core and using the "21st century" model as a stealthy way to get it in place.

On the Family attraction's front I totally agree. Windsor has NOTHING as far as family attractions go. You can see every thing there is in a day and it does not make sense for touring families to stay a night in one of our hotels.

Problem with all of this is that the city is looking for the quick dollar from bars full of American kids. If they would look at the bigger picture and realize that if they focus on a family tourist environment, it would be much more economical. You don't see MOM Dad And there eight year old son getting smashed busting a park bench ($1000) then starting a fight with another family thus causing an ambulance to be called(god knows how much) and police (we all know that paying Windsor’s finest isn't cheap) and so on

just my 2 dollars... ther's way to much to be 2 cents Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CityOfWindsor.com Forum Index -> Local News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: